[Year 12 IT Apps] Answers...

Geoff Moss geoffmoss37 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Sep 21 20:27:36 EST 2007

Hi Maree

This has been a real problem I have faced at RMIT this year.  Most of our
students had not done IT lower in the education system (a large majority of
our Year 12 students are not from RMIT Year 11 and many are mature
students).

As a result of the new study design these students have been severely
disadvantaged, having to learn each of the three applications before being
able to do each SAC.

While the intent of the course designers has no doubt been honourable and
directed at improving the study, little thought has been done for students
who fall into our situation.

We cannot prevent students selecting the study as they quite correctly state
that the study has no prerequisites (SD p.8).  But did they anticipate
students would undertake the study without skills and knowledge in a
database software aplication, webdesign software and in Excel.?  I strongly
suggest they did not.

In previous years we have coped in teaching two aplications - web-design
software and Excel - but the addition of a database has really added huge
problems to the task for our students.

I wrote earlier this year on the list about this problem but received no
response.

I would like to know what other teachers, the study writers and Paula could
suggest we do in this situation, knowing that these students are also
competing with others in the state who have good skills in all three of
these software applications.

Where my students are so poorly done by is that the time we spend on
teaching the software applications has to come from the time I would like to
teach them theory.  This is what we will be doing during the vacation and in
the few weeks of Term 3, when other students will have the luxury of
revising the study.

I know there is no solution to this problem and that my students are really
behind a very large eight-ball.

The reality is that there is no longer a level playing field in ITA any
more.  Requiring students to learn three software applications, complete 4
SACs (three of which are software based) and then have them to learn the
theory of the study design is a tall ask for any student.

My winge is for the plight of my students and any other students who are in
a similar plight.  No-one is going to fight for them at this stage.

Geoff Moss
RMIT