[Year 12 IT Apps] Supplement in Monday's Age

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Sep 13 07:42:38 EST 2007

On 13/09/2007, at 4:56 AM, Mark Scott wrote:
> Our language is fluid and criteria is becoming more accepted as the
> singular form as well.

Oh, no! Please, no!   My students lose a mark for formats and
conventions if they use the plural forum when they mean to use
singular. "Criteria" and "phenomena" are two of my pet hates in this
regard.

I do agree that usage defines language, not the other way 'round...
this phenomena of ppl like youse saying stuff like them words
"criterion" wot you can get but don't do much but confuse ya ain't no
good, but.

Russell