[Year 12 IT Apps] VITTA ITA exam 3

Geoff Moss geoffmoss37 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Oct 15 12:39:11 EST 2007

Mult-choice Question 6 lacks sufficient detail as to the level of
impairment.  A slight visual impairment may not be a colour blindness.
There can be other colour combinations that make a site difficult to read
other than the use of red and green colours.  More strongly contrasting
colours would be a way to go here.

Also, is it suggesting the oganisation is already using red and green
colours together?  If it is not, and we advise students not to add
additional facts to any question, then B is definitely not going to be a
"best answer".
Thus B is not necessarily a valid response.

Top navigation can present difficulties for the visually impaired, as noted
by Maggie, and also if they zoom in or make the text size larger navigation
is made more difficult as they will need to scroll more up/down and
left/right throughout the pages.

Navigation at the top left for slight visual impairment may suit those with
mild or slight impairment but may be more difficult for those with greater
impairment as the location for navigation is not 'standard' with other
sites.

The response "near the top" is not to the top left and is thus somewhat
ambiguous.

The organisation should be considering greater degrees of impairment than
those with a "slight" impairment to make their website INCLUSIVE for all
users.

Maggie's comment on A:
> Using correct ALT tags and table header contents are a good use of HTML
> for visually impaired people who need the page read out electronically.

is then appropriate.  However, many who are slightly visually impaired would
most likely not opt for the electronic reading, particularly if it is in the
workplace.  Thus, their access would not be improved unless they are
directed towards using the electronic reading.

The question is not very clear and a number of candidates could be
influenced by personal experience to focus towards colour blindness; while
others may appreciate other forms and levels of visual impairment.

A question with good intent, but fails to provide a clear correct response.
D is the default position and I think many candidates would not choose this
in preference to one of the other 3 responses.

I tend to lean towards A, but would prefer questions such as this did not
appear without further clarification of the impairment to be addressed.

By the way, Mark is correct with Question 5.

Another 3c worth.

Geoff Moss
RMIT