[Year 12 IT Apps] Preparing ITA Students for the EoY Exam

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 3 18:45:46 EST 2007

Here are three sheets (in the one Word Doc) that I like to use during
our exam prep discussion session.
I actually run off one per student and invite them to blue-tac them up
on their study walls at home.
My philosophy is that I want the kids to OWN their own
preparation-responsibility, so that all I am doing is providing
facilitation, advice, support etc but not nagging nor discipline etc.
That is the theory anyway. "You can drag the kids to books but you
cannot make them WANT to study" is the famous saying or something like
that.
In the years I have been able to work this magic spell it just goes like
a dream, in other years it is just hard work day by day with
disappointment at the end. I wonder what this year will be like???
I brought in one student from the previous year who was a hard worker,
and who did well not through natural brilliance but because he put in a
huge number of dedicated hours. he spoke with the kids and answered any
of their questions. They believed him and I THINK it had a positive
impact.
I have run off many old papers (ITA practice and IPM past papers etc
that I had purchased etc in the past) and have a checklist for the kids
to use as they  'borrow' them, do them mark them then email me with
results and concerns.
Cheers, Keith
Keith Richardson