[Year 12 IT Apps] Re: Teaching ITA to Yr 11s

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Nov 30 08:16:56 EST 2007

Dear Kent and Roland,

On 30/11/2007, at 1:44 AM, Roland Gesthuizen wrote:

> >From memory .. some people find it easier to just teach Unit 3 and
> 4 to the composite year 11 and 12 class. Just a thought.

I was tempted to do this, but it seems problematic to me.

For starters it's more than a bit naughty as far as the VCAA is
concerned and it's quite a stretch to report against the Yr 11
outcomes... for example, would you be counting spreadsheets as a
"programming or scripting language" and security analysis as
"representing a network"??   Secondly, it's going to be hard for the
weaker students and you need to take that into account for Yr 11s by
marking them more leniently ... but not too leniently! You might then
end up finding it hard in some cases to decide whether or not they've
met the outcomes.   Thirdly, wouldn't it be dead boring next year for
the Year 12 kids who already did it this year as Year 11s? Fourth,
you'd miss out on the fun of the programming topic!

Just my opinion ;-)

Russell Edwards
Whittlesea SC