[Year 12 IT Apps] Section A and B

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Nov 14 22:20:00 EST 2007

On 14/11/2007, at 9:37 PM, Selina Dennis wrote:

> Q6b) What exactly do they mean by design element? I would assume/
> hope they
> are referring to the design elements such as proportion, orientation,
> clarity, usability, etc., in which case I have no issue. But, if
> not, they
> really should have made it much clearer what they were asking.

I asked the same thing on this mailing list about a question in the
VCAA sample exam. The answer we received from Paula was more or less
tough luck, if an obscure term no-one else uses or takes to have any
precisely defined meaning appears in the study design, it can still
appear in the exam without any clarification.

In this case the study design decrees that design elements are
"proportion (visual hierarchy), orientation (direction/aspect),
clarity and consistency, colour and contrast, usability and
accessibility, appropriateness, relevance. " no more, no less, no
different.

I must say it bugs me to have to tell my students to memorise jargon
they will have no use for beyond the exam.

Russell Edwards
Whittlesea Secondary College