[Year 12 IT Apps] Sorting text and number

Selina Dennis selina at dennis.net.au
Wed Nov 14 18:04:46 EST 2007

The biggest issue with setting the data type of a phone number (or postcode)
field to an integer is that you cannot have leading zeroes in (most)
database systems when the data type is numeric - it will trim it. The only
time a numeric field is acceptable for a postcode would be if you have a
specific range that does not require Northern Territory postcodes - but even
then, this would be an unnecessary limitation to your database.

Overall, I was displeased with the exam as I don't believe it will
effectively filter out the "good" students from the "excellent" students; it
lacked the depth required to do so. I ended up with the feeling that you
didn't even need to take the course to pass - many answers simply required
the application of common sense.

(I must admit, I'm bitter that the exam had an excessive amount of
Excel-based questions - that my Year 7s would be able to answer - and very
little database "theory" questions, and none (unless I missed it) on the
PSM).

Regards,

Selina Dennis
Strathmore Secondary College