[Year 12 IT Apps] ITA Section A, Q9 - dear o dear.

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Wed Nov 14 14:18:06 EST 2007

Hi Folks,

 I am the last living IT Apps teacher at my school and would add the following definition of data validation:

data validation --
(computer science) The checking of data for correctness, or the determination of compliance with applicable standards, rules, and conventions.
http://www.answers.com/topic/data-validation?cat=technology

 the reasonableness check is but one type of validation criterion, standard or convention . There are others. Validation can be as simple as the presence of data.
As to what degree of "accuracy" a standard can check would be another matter. This would then blur into "reasonableness".

Hope that helps

Kevork

>>> "Roy Smalley" <R.Smalley at chisholm.vic.edu.au> 14/11/2007 12:24 pm >>>
Mark,
I disagree.

I think the most likely answer is D

A, B & C are all testing

Validation occurs at the Input (Data entry) stage to limit the entry of inaccurate data eg using Data Validation feature of Excel or using field formatting in a database. So based on our students experience of doing the Spreadsheet and Database outcomes I think most would choose D.

>From the Potts textbook
"Validation is the process by which data that has been input to a computer is assessed to ensure that it is correct and complete.
Electronic validation relies on software functions to perform checks on accuracy, completeness and reasonableness." (p.12, highlighting added)

Roy Smalley
Access Department
Chisholm Institute of TAFE
PO Box 684
Dandenong  VIC  3175

Work:  9238 8496

>>> Mark Kelly <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au> Wednesday, 14 November 2007 11:27 >>>
Validation is used to
A. check the accuracy of calculations.
B. detect software errors and alert the manager.
C. test functions and alert programmers to errors.
D. prevent inaccurate data from entering the system.

This is a worry.  It cannot be D because validation does NOT check the
ACCURACY of data, only its reasonableness. Even the sacred IT glossary
says validation checks data input to a system is of an "appropriate type
for processing, and within acceptable boundaries")

B and C are silly.

So are we to accept that validation is used to check the accuracy of
calculations?  Not really - that's called testing.

I think the question is just plain wrong, and I'm tempted to appeal
against it on the grounds of factual inaccuracy.

Any other opinions?

McKinnon Rd, McKinnon 3204, Victoria, Australia
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000, Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

Webmaster - http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au ( http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au/ )
IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com ( http://vceit.com/ )
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

1. Education is an admirable thing, but remember that nothing that is
worth knowing can be taught - Oscar Wilde
2. I make trouble.  You want some?