[Year 12 IT Apps] $200 laptop scheme starts production

Donna Benjamin donna at vitta.org.au
Thu Nov 8 21:11:39 EST 2007

And...
if you'd actually like to SEE one...

I've attached a picture of Martin Dougiamas, [keynote speaker last year] - playing with the OLPC at the linux.conf.au Open Day in Sydney earlier this year.  Of course this was an earlier model/prototype.

Even better though - we'll have one at the VITTA conference!
Tuesday Session 2405 at 2:30pm

One laptop per child
Presented by Joel Stanley.

Influenced by the constructionist theories of learning pioneered by Seymour Papert and later Alan Kay, Nicholas Negroponte and his colleagues from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Media Lab formed One Laptop Per Child, an organisation tasked with producing low cost, rugged educational tools for the world's children. Joel Stanley spent 10 weeks at MIT as an engineer working on the development of the laptop. He will demonstrate the laptop, highlighting the features that make it a very useful educational tool in the classroom, the playground and at home.

:)

- donna

--
Donna Benjamin