[Year 12 IT Apps] BrightSparks and VITTA website

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 20:02:17 EST 2007

G'day Ros

On 28/03/07, Meadows, Roslyn M <Meadows.Roslyn.M at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:

>  Thanks for replies - I have worked out the VITTA problem - it will not
> work on school computers using IE7 - I can get it from home on IE7, from
> school on older computers which still have IE6 or via Mozilla - strange!!

 I had a look at the VITTA website with a some of different web browsers and
all seems OK. I have a problem reproducing an issue with IE, unless there
are some extra security policy tweaks added in at your school or mystery
interpretation of W3 standards by an IE7 upgrade that I missed .. worth your
while testing with another browser like Firefox.

We work hard to keep the VITTA website code compliant with W3 standards.
Say, has anybody noticed what happens if you surf the VITTA website with a
PDA or mobile phone? (grin)

http://Browsershots.org can make screenshots of a web page using different
web browsers on different operating systems. It submits a web address to a
series of distributed computers that make different screenshots that are
uploaded back to a central web server. There are probably other websites
about that do something similar. It is a free (open-source too) online
service. I have used it with my students to search and explore some
non-standard's compliant (does that become in-compliant?) websites .. you
can guess which ones :-)

Regards Roland

As for BrightSparks - they have just been toplisted (if the top of the list
> means anything) on today's email re ISP's to all principals - YAY!!!! Thanks
> Clare for this info!!! And your 6th sense!!) - see attached file for email

I think that it means, B comes before N (this short list is sorted
alphabetical)  ;-)

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au