[filtered] Re: [Year 12 IT Apps] Assessement cross checking

Litsa Tzelepis htzelepis at msj.melb.catholic.edu.au
Mon Mar 5 15:13:39 EST 2007

very impressive. i love it.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Timmer-Arends
  Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 4:49 PM
  Subject: [filtered] Re: [Year 12 IT Apps] Assessement cross checking

  Hello Sharon

  If I understand you correctly you have a form attached to a table and you want a combo box to be used to move to the record containing whatever it is that is selected from the combo box list?

  If this is the case then all that attaching the combo box to the field will do is fill in the field with what is selected from the list.

  There are several ways to tackle this but the most straightforward to:
  1. make a query (based on the table) that has all the fields the form requires plus the field that has to be matched.
  2. attach the form to the query not the table (if you already have the form, just change its record source)
  3. make another one field table that contains the list you want to have appear in the drop down list.
  (now for the hard bits)
  4. make a combo box on the form that is not bound to the query but has the small lookup table as its list source (the wizard should do all this for you). It is best to put this combo box in the header of the form (switched on in design view from the view menu I think)
  5. in the combobox properties list, give the combobox an obvious name, and then via the events tab in the change event create code (not macro) that simply has: Me.requery
  6. save the form and close
  7. open the query in design view and click in the criteria row in the field which is to be search.
  8. right-click and you should see 'build' - select this and use the bottom three boxes to find the combobox by name. Click 'value', then OK, then save the query.
  9, if all is well, opening the form and then selecting the required value from the list should take you to the required record - assuming the record exists.

  whew!!!

  A sample attached - hope its helpful.

  Regards
  Robert T-A