[Year 12 IT Apps] demonstration enterprise applications - ideas?

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 10:50:11 EST 2007

Seeking collective wisdom here:

We (Tasmania) have a couple of Year 12 subjects that seem to correspond
loosely with parts of VCE Yr 12 IT Apps (and some bits of Information
Systems), based on looking at docs on the VCCA web

For some students, an overview of typical existing commercial information
systems would be useful, before they look at designing or analysing
anything. The problem of course is that access to live systems is
not feasible (except perhaps on work placement). Students are fine with
personal/office software, but enterprise applications are another matter.

So,  I've been looking for some demonstration or free versions of dedicated
enterprise-level software apps for student to look at, such as :

- Health medical patient management
- Decision support
- Marketing
- Financial systems
- CRM system
- Supply chain management
- Stock control
- Resource/asset management
- Management and quality systems
- HR mananagent
- Student management system
- Teller/banking systems
- Travel and accomm'n booking
- Logistics management
- Fleet management
- Geospatial data
- event and conference management
- emergency services (ambulance etc) management
- Helpcentre software
- etc

that can be either hosted locally or which are available as product demos.
The latter actually might be better as they often have a good set of dummy
data that allows students to see how they work reasonably quickly.

Anyone able to share ideas on this? So far I only have a handful of
examples, and I'm pretty sure others will have been down this track before.
Hopefully it will be of mutual benefit.

Alternatively, have others found better ways of handling this? Or is this
closer to the VCE Info Systems course (in which case I apologise for the
question)?

Cheers
Ken