[Year 12 IT Apps] YouTube down the tubes?

Shaun Turner turnesh at nagle.sale.catholic.edu.au
Mon Aug 6 08:57:38 EST 2007

HI

We have banned youtube, and myspace for that matter, partly on the
grounds of limited educational value, that we have been able to work
out, it's a large consumer of bandwidth, and the kids will always be
kids and find the kind of material we wouldn't want them looking at -
which they did before we banned it.

I would be interested in learning of these curriculum initiatives that
require the use of youtube, and it's alternatives. I'm not sure I can
think of any, and i'd be fairly sure I could suggest alternatives.

Shaun Turner
Network Manager
Nagle College, Bairnsdale

>>> jturner <ljturner at plc.vic.edu.au> 6/08/2007 7:50 am >>>
Can I take up an issue with YouTube.
Our admin is looking to ban YouTube on the basis that "all other
schools" already have banned it and therefore our students are at risk

in ways other students are not.
Would appreciate some feedback on whether schools have banned YouTube
or not - will be of value as we try to decide on its in-school
educational potential. At the moment the defense is being held together

by curriculum initiatives. Keith's input is more appreciated as
supportive evidence.

With Thanks
John Turner

On 03/08/2007, at 9:23 PM, Keith Richardson wrote:

> U-Tube has many excellent tutorials on Excel, some of which I am
using
> with my ITA kids for U4O1 preparation.
>
> However, I also found this that might interest a few of you...
> Here is an interesting one I found to make Gantt charts for project
> management
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW_wGSFavTc
>
> Use Excel to create a project management Gantt chart.
> Cheers, Keith.
> Keith Richardson
> ITA List Moderator
> Head of ICT, Leibler Yavneh College
> Elsternwick
> Ph: 03.9528.4911
> k.richardson at yavneh.vic.edu.au

> - Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority and
> http://www.vitta.org.au ( http://www.vitta.org.au/ )  - VITTA
Victorian Information Technology
> Teachers Association Inc

Dr J Turner
Head of Information Technology / VCE Coordinator
Presbyterian Ladies' College
BURWOOD Victoria 3125

This email is intended for the use of the named individual or entity
and
may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any
dissemination,
distribution or copying by anyone other than the intended recipient of

this
email is strictly prohibited.  If this email has been received in
error,
then please notify PLC immediately and destroy the original message.

http://www.vitta.org.au ( http://www.vitta.org.au/ )  - VITTA Victorian

those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of Nagle
College, Bairnsdale.