[Year 12 IT Apps] Digital Storage

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Sat Aug 4 16:52:57 EST 2007

Hello Cameron

We started to try to put all paper records onto disk a few years back - it
was just too fraught with difficulties.
The single biggest stumbling block was that we still had to keep the paper
records becuase of some legal requirement.
The next biggest was what you have alluded to, namely how to guarantee that
the electronic records could still be accessed in five years, let alone the
thirty (or so) that's required. (although I think this problem is now not as
big an issue as it was because modern hard discs outstrip storage capacities
of other media by far, and I would just put everything on hard disc. Every
few years when hardware/software was in danger of becoming obsolete, just
transfer the data to a new hard disk - or quantumdrive, or whatever the new
technology might be)

File formats is also an issue - I used to run a programming unit in which
logowriter was used. My students wrote some fantastic stuff and I have kept
their files, but I have also had to keep a copy of logowriter, and with
Microsoft always changing Windows, if I'm serious about this I may even have
to keep a copy of Windows 3.3!

The software we were using to put paper records on disk stored everything as
a TIFF image. The company argued that this was such a simple, well
understood format, that there would always be software to read it.

The Public Record Office of Victoria put out a report in 1999 'Victorian
Electronic Records Strategy' where they canvassed all the issues. They
concluded that not even PDF was safe because it was a proprietary product
(the report is well worth having a look at if you can get a hold of it).

Having said that, I'm the reports bunny at Brighton and a few years ago my
principal said we needed to stop holding paper copies of reports because we
were running out of room. So, since 2004 I archive all student reports as
PDFs and have placed them on-line for staff to access (which is an added
bonus). I keep an off-line backup on CD at the moment, but am considering
moving to external HDD.

And that is about the extent of our electronic archiving.

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC