[elearning] In pursuit of research and data

Paul Chandler paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Sun Dec 26 11:47:33 EST 2010

Hi folks,

HOW teachers are using ICT is a long-standing interest of mine (PhD case
study of 3 teachers).  May be those of us with a "particular" interest in
this should band together in some fashion?

A couple of things have interested me: (a) what they are using (b) why and
(c) what teaching procedures are typically employed (ie how).  I don't know
of any substantive work on teaching procedures of computer-using teachers
(though I'd stand to be corrected).  A wide-scale study on such a thing
would certainly be interesting (as would a bunch of other things, of
course).

Cheers,

 No worries I will forward it in the next couple of days. I think your point
> about how the technology is used is absolutely correct. Academic researchers
> are only just starting to explore this point and hence there is a lot of
> work which needs to be done in this area.
> Back in touch soon.
> RB
>

> On 18/12/10 8:15 AM, "Kevork Krozian" <K.Krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au> wrote:
>
> Hi Rob,
>
> Sounds great. Looking forward to receiving the material as soon as you are
> able to forward it.
> Interestingly there was some research probably in the last 18 months and
> widely covered in some newspaper headlines claiming the opposite – that
> technology/computers/mobile devices were actually lowering standards such as
> literacy and numeracy. I could try to dredge that up but I think the point
> is not the technology but HOW it is used and that means what the teacher is
> doing with it. The teacher is both the fulcrum and the lever and that is the
> key to the direction of the outcomes.
>
> Speak soon
> Kevork

Dr Paul Chandler
Research Fellow: Multimedia grammatical design and authoring pedagogy
(Kahootz) project,
School of Education, University of New England
(Project website: http://www.une.edu.au/kahootzresearch)

located at Australian Children's Television Foundation
145 Smith Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, 3065
e-mail: paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Ph: 0400 198 187
Fax: (03) 9419 0660
Skype: paul.d.chandler