[elearning] In pursuit of research and data

Paul Chandler paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Sat Dec 18 11:43:48 EST 2010

Hi Kevork,

Whilst there are various univeristy databases which cover slightly different
journal articles, eric (http://www.eric.ed.gov/) is reasonably
comprehensive.  Plus you can search it easily without any login etc!    I
quite often use it because it is actually easier to use than UNE's
meta-database; you can get a feel for useful 'descriptors' (formal fields
which define the article) which can then be put into a meta-database (which
frequently turns up nothing else more interesting).

There are some benefits of being part-time with one institution (UNE), and
session with 2 others (Deakin and Melbourne) - they all treat you like
"full" members of staff in terms of library and journal access.  Deakin is
terrific, because so much is available electronically.  So if there's any
articles you come across, I'm happy to grab and electronic copy for you from
Deakin.

Cheers,

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Kevork Krozian <K.Krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au>wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>

> Sounds great. Looking forward to receiving the material as soon as you are
> able to forward it.
>
> Interestingly there was some research probably in the last 18 months and
> widely covered in some newspaper headlines claiming the opposite – that
> technology/computers/mobile devices were actually lowering standards such as
> literacy and numeracy. I could try to dredge that up but I think the point
> is not the technology but HOW it is used and that means what the teacher is
> doing with it. The teacher is both the fulcrum and the lever and that is the
> key to the direction of the outcomes.
>

> Speak soon
>
> Kevork

Dr Paul Chandler
Research Fellow: Multimedia grammatical design and authoring pedagogy
(Kahootz) project,
School of Education, University of New England
(Project website: http://www.une.edu.au/kahootzresearch)

located at Australian Children's Television Foundation
145 Smith Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, 3065
e-mail: paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Ph: 0400 198 187
Fax: (03) 9419 0660
Skype: paul.d.chandler