[elearning] Privacy fears over student register

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun May 11 09:04:19 EST 2008

Quite right Roland. I was unaware of the larger pic you have raised but
I have it on good authority that any security within Ultranet was only
raised almost as an afterthought. The implications were barely
considered. Before we look at specifics, you only need consider the
age-old security versus usability problem. Ultranet could be very very
secure but no-one will use it, or it could be very easy to use, but have
nothing in the way of privacy/security protection.
Of course the flip side is that as a teacher, if you can access a kids
previous assessments, you have a much better idea of what to set them. I
wonder how a Heart Surgeon would feel if the referring Doctor didn't
pass on the patients medical record - due to privacy concerns, so he
needed to repeat all the tests before he can get started. I have yet to
work in a school where I could get an idea of what level my new students
were achieving at unless I bumped into their previous teacher. I have
never had any formal previous assessments available to me. ASFAIK the
only time this happens is in the Gr 6 to Yr 7 transition.
I suppose one part of it may be the desire to give a kid a "fresh start"
without any bias, which is usually more based around "effort" and "
behavior" rather than academic achievement. A purely skills based
assessment would be very helpful most of the time.
There are some positives to be had (IMHO) but there are the dangers that
must be quite rightly recognised and addressed. I suppose we need to
have an idea of the product and procedures before we have a better idea
of any weaknesses. I hope trial schools take this very seriously.
Cheers
Cameron