[Design and Technology] Openlearning and Technology

James Roberts jroberts at stpeters.vic.edu.au
Tue Mar 27 15:07:27 EST 2012

Hi David
We are a new campus and are currently building a new Yr7 & 8 building that has a central focus of an Innovation Hub that houses Design Tech, Art, Vis Com, Drama, IT and Media fuelled by an Ideas Kitchen.  Fortunately we realised from the beginning that 20th century subjects don't fit into the 21st century notion of education....not at this level at least.

In the above space we'll have 60 students with 2 teachers and an Aide.  We've thrown out the curriculum and gone back to basics and are using an Integrated Curriculum "philosophy" as our starting point that is allowing us to incorporate the above subjects.  The key is to ensure that the relevant VELS outcomes are still being taught AND assessed.  Additionally we want to make sure that the students are still receiving the key functional skills required for each subject area so that they can achieve success in VCE/VET/VCAL.  We are also using the cross-curricular priorities from the Australian Curriculum to map out our planning documents -based on the Understanding by Design process.

We also believe that this type of learning (and pedagogy) - Integrated Curriculum, needs to change as students move through the different stages of learning and also realise that most "post-compulsory" style subjects are a lot more prescriptive and tightly structured.  That is why we are also designing/planning/will build discreet spaces that will accommodate the learning demands of studying a VCE/VET/VCAL subject in the above subject areas.

I've made it sound simple, it hasn't been.  It's been a long journey and we have a long way to go.  Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss further.

Regards
James

James Roberts
Head of Campus - Cranbourne East
St Peter's College
PO Box 615
Cranbourne, VIC 3977
PH: (03) 5990 7777  FAX: (03) 5996 8277
www.stpeters.vic.edu.au
The contents of this email are confidential. Any unauthorised use of the content is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please advise by reply email or telephone immediately and then delete the email. Thank you