[da] [Year 12 SofDev] Magnetic storage lifetimes

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 03:06:27 UTC 2022

I wonder if it is because the older FDD media wrote data with a lower density, extending it’s lifetime. BTW, I recall reading that magnetic tape, especially audio is prone to failure around 20 years for a swag of different, sticky reasons https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/10/151014142223.htm <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/10/151014142223.htm>

A salutary reminder for me to grab the digital video that I took of the kids growing up decades ago, and copy the tapes over onto something more permanent and backed up.

Thanks Sven for the reflection :-)

Best of wishes, Roland