[Informatics] Referencing: Will students get marked down for not using italics?

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 23:56:09 UTC 2019

Underlining was a proofing mark for a printer or typesetter to represent this an emphasis with italics , kind of why you would have seen this on a typed thesis reference or even in my hand-written notes. Using underlining for emphasis is now frowned upon with typed text, despite legions of teachers that continue to do this for subheadings.

PS: I recall poking a pen into a small plastic hole onto a roller plate with manual typewriter then hitting the space bar to underline text. As for bold, I had to just bang the keys harder. I often dreamed about switching fonts with an IBM Golfball typewriter.