[Informatics] [Year 12 SofDev] Enrollment Numbers

Mark mark at vceit.com
Wed May 22 06:47:20 UTC 2019

A pondering:

The problem with IPM/ITA/Informatics/Data Analytics over time is that the
entire subject area has become increasingly quaint as technology has
developed.

In 2001, its sibling (IPM, ITA) once was useful to teach good software
usage - as the subjects' names made clear: *Information Processing and
Management*, *IT Applications*.

Then time discovered that teaching word processing and spreadsheets was
redundant (students absorbed these skills in kindergarten) and it tried to
become data analysis/statistics... which people obviously didn't want,
according to enrolment figures.
Kids who *did* want that stuff enrolled in Psych.

Twenty years ago, teaching kids how to tune a car engine was useful, but
modern engine computerisation has made it impossible and irrelevant.
Today, *Informatics* is unneeded and unwanted.
Software usage is a TAFE or VET course, not a VCE academic subject.
Its time has passed.
Its need has gone.

SD has been stable and consistent because its charter is clear :
programming!
That's why it is still respected and attracts consistent enrolments.

Maybe we just need to face facts and admit that courses like
Informatics/Data Analytics are just as valuable as learning to make saddles
or horseshoes.
Once upon a time they had value, but...
I think VCAA is fighting a losing battle trying to keep Informatics/Data
Analytics relevant to modern students' needs.
Hence the tanking of enrolments.

End of a pondering.