[Informatics] Enrolments 2016-2017

Adrian Janson janson.adrian.a at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 22:53:26 UTC 2019

Hi Roland,

While this article is interesting (and I'm not refuting the facts), I don't
like the premise that falling enrolments are due to a lack of STEM
teachers. I don't deny that this could be a factor, but I feel it's more a
case of us needing to evolve our own local curricula to make IT more
relevant / appealing. We have to sell our disciplines. It's not enough (any
more?) for us to rest on the belief that IT is a cool subject and students
will take it up (which is what WE all believe of course). We need to cater
for the needs of our current cohorts while making our core skills /
concepts appealing and engaging.

Cheers,
Adrian