[Informatics] Changes to Informatics/Data Analytics

Heath, Natalie Natalie.Heath at marcellin.vic.edu.au
Wed Aug 22 22:55:04 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I got inspired by Adrian Janson who put together a comparison of the old and new for Software Dev and have done the same for our new subject, Data Analytics. Feel free to use it before submitting feedback (due mid September).

I’ve got a couple of concerns…
U3o1 is requiring use of both spreadsheets and relational databases…. I’m struggling to cover just the database, especially with students who’ve not done unit 2. If the database is removed from year 11 completely, as is currently proposed, this is going to get even more difficult to cover properly. I’m sad to see ERDs go (but I think they’re still needed to teach databases properly – I’ll still do it) and I love teaching normalisation… but that’s probably just me 😊

The definition of data integrity changes – it’s mentioned 3 times. The first 2 are from the current Informatics study design, the other is from SofDev and they are different.

Be aware this is a work in progress. I haven’t done much to codify the key skills as they generally don’t map directly onto the old ones (or they match perfectly). There are probably errors, but I needed something so that I could get my head around it. I number my KK dot points because that’s how my brain works. The points are presented in the order that maps onto the current study design.

How do others feel?

Cheers,

Natalie

Natalie Heath
Marcellin Staff

[Marcellin College Logo]
MARCELLIN COLLEGE
160 Bulleen Road
Bulleen VIC 3105 Australia
T +61 3 9851 1698
F +61 3 9851 1555
ABN 77 413 001 496
marcellin.vic.edu.au<http://marcellin.vic.edu.au>
twitter.com/Marcellin<http://twitter.com/Marcellin>
DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and delete the email from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Marcellin College. Marcellin College does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free and accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.