[Informatics] Codifying Data

Mark mark at vceit.com
Wed May 17 16:37:12 AEST 2017

But questions that are *excessively* tightly-structured become *closed
questions* that constrain the freedom of the respondent to give new and
valuable information that had not been known before about the hypothesis in
question.

*Qualitative* info gathering is all about *learning the subject from
scratch*; defining the main issues; finding out what is important about a
new topic.
*Quantitative* info gathering is to do deeper mass-data research into
*pre-defined* topics once the important criteria in the issue have been
identified.

e.g. Why do people like to dance?

Firstly, *qualitative* info (interviews, observation) is gathered... e.g.

80% of people interviewed said they want to attract a mate.
10% said they wanted to lose weight.
5% said they were too drunk to know what they were doing.
3% said it allowed them to express their 'inner hippy'.
2% were incoherent.

... then more focused *quantitative* (surveys, questionnaires) research can
be undertaken.

e.g.

- On a scale of 0 (never) to 5 (every time) how often do you dance to
attract a mate? [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
- How important is dancing to you to lose weight? [Not at all?] [Somewhat?]
[A lot?]
- Can you remember when you last danced? [In a blurry fashion?] [Who are
you and why are you asking questions?] [I'm drunk. Want to dance?]
- Are you a hippy? [Tangerine, man] [Whoa! Lights!]
- Are you incoherent? [Boolean!] [Did you know *all* fish are Roman
Catholic?] [Bookshelf, obviously!]

Data gathering is hard.

<ark
(How I type my name 70% of the time... now 71%)

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com