[Informatics] Codifying Data

Mark mark at vceit.com
Tue May 16 15:16:45 AEST 2017

Hi Benjamin

A quick example: an interview with shoppers yields these comments about the
level of service they received:
"Pretty good" - coded as 5/10
"Excellent" - coded as 9/10
"Fantastic!" - coded as 10/10
"My pig could've done better" - coded as 1/10
"My sister's dead pig could've done better" - coded as 0/10

The coding often requires human judgement, resulting in some subjectiveness
in the quantitative results.
This need for judgement will increase the cost and time required for coding
the qualitative data.
Researchers may give coders a rubric to guide their coding decisions, such
as listing key words and equivalent code values.
e.g.
"Good" == 5/10
"Excellent" == 9/10
Any reference to "pigs doing better" == 1 or less.

Regards,
Mark

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com