[Informatics] Informatics Performance Descriptors Question

Garth, Lucas A garth.lucas.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed May 10 16:06:35 AEST 2017

Good afternoon,

On coding qualitative data, the way I read it is:

·         Gather qualitative data through primary (surveys/interviews etc) and/or secondary sources (articles/reports/experts)

·         Code the data by grouping into like areas (this is the physical coding that is described in the performance descriptors)

·         Once the data is coded, you use software tools such as Microsoft Excel, to develop a chart that can explain the relationship between the coded items in a more visually appealing way.

I do NOT think where the criterion lists “software tools” it’s in creating a word cloud from all of the literary documents you could find on your issue through Google Scholar, however interesting that exercise might be.

I don’t know whether any of our students are looking into machine learning because coding qualitative data seems clearly a task that needs manual (human) interpretation, or getting the computer to learn where to place the data.  Is anyone on list using any CAQDAS  (no not cactus) software?  (For more basic information on this, refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-assisted_qualitative_data_analysis_software )

Lucas