[Informatics] Fun with hypothesis - Part 3: More fun

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 15:32:29 AEDT 2017

It surprised me to hear that more men die from breast cancer than from
testicular cancer according to Australian statistics:

typically  5 male deaths from testicular cancer per year
typically 28 male deaths for breast cancer  per year

Source:
https://canceraustralia.gov.au/affected-cancer/cancer-types/testicular-cancer/testicular-cancer-statistics
https://canceraustralia.gov.au/affected-cancer/cancer-types/breast-cancer/breast-cancer-statistics

There is also a VERY controversial body of research on the impact of
screening mammograms on breast cancer rates and mortality in women. For
such an important medical issue, it's not as clear-cut as we might hope.

One of the many reasons why we need our young men and women to understand
statistics, their interpretation and how technology might help in solving
human problems.

kp

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:

> From the same source as before
> <http://www.cracked.com/article_24648_E280AAthe-7-most-inexplicably-murderous-months-calendarE280AC.html>
>

> *WARNING - a little fruity language is included in the link above. *
> *Do not dataproject this to your academic sweetlings before giving it a
> good preview!*
>
> Here are some other interesting (*northern-hemispherical*) stats for
> which to create hypotheses...
>

> And try to explain this spike in deaths caused by medication errors by
> doctors...
>

> And you might also find there is such a thing as an "Appendicitis season"
> in Ghana and Finland.
>
> Data are fun*
>
> Mark
>
> * "Data *is* fun"? Dang - again.
>
> --
>
> Mark Kelly
>
> mark at vceit.com
> http://vceit.com
>
> Powered by *data.*

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

Dr Ken Price MACS(Snr) CP ACCE Professional Associate.
Immediate Past President, TASITE http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au