[Informatics] Criteria 5 question

Garth, Lucas A garth.lucas.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Jun 13 11:15:52 AEST 2017

Hi Ben,

I’d consider the following design tools could be taught to the students, from which they can then create their site:

Design for Functionality:               Navigation – Site Map / Storyboard
                                                                IPO chart could help clarify to students what they want to have on the site, though generally this is best used for calculations

Design for Appearance:                Layout Diagram / Mockup (one is a skeleton, the other is how they think the site will look)
                                                                Style Sheets for different types of pages / screen sizes makes a lot of sense

I want my students to have a set of sketches (no upper limit but hopefully not just one or they miss out on the higher marks for the criterion) of how they want their site to look (by hand), a knowledge of the main styling of the page, and the navigation of the site.

In my view, this should be done before creation of evaluation criteria for their preferred design (in order to encourage free thinking / ideation principles).  Students should certainly have completed and chosen a design before moving onto the “study and use” a website development tool.

Reason being, there’s lots of templates students could pick directly from most website development tools which renders the design process and the thought taken to be of limited value for a student who just wants to get their S quickly. I want my students wrestling with how to create their design, when it’s not an “off the shelf” option.  Off the shelf means that anyone could create it and therefore not pay you to do the job. Customised or lovingly crafted is a philosophy I’m trying to get through to my students.

I will also encourage my students to have designs for at least two, possibly 3 different types of pages in each design submission:

·         A splash screen with one large hero image and big heading text (and that’s about it)

·         A page listing the different options that can be clicked for the site

Here is a page showing the two combined:
[Image result for website entry pages]

·         A page showing how content will be shown on the website – e.g. there’s at least going to be a few pages of text to accompany the images / multi modal elements

I haven’t made much thought about encouraging students to consider how their site will look on mobile phones, but it’s worth consideration for each of the three page types listed above.

How this is likely to all play out – students are to come back and submit at the end of first week Term 3 their completed design documents, their evaluation criteria both for the overall site AND the design, their decision of preferred design and a page description of how their site meets key design principles for both functionality and appearance.  Some holiday work, but will allow the class to spend most of their term 3 on their build which is likely to be the most difficult (and worth ½ the marks for U4O1)

Lucas

[lalorSC-logo_cropped]Mr Lucas Garth
Technology Key Learning Area Leader
Lalor Secondary College