[Informatics] SD TEACHER JOB VACANCY at Distance Education Centre Victoria (state government school)

Blake, Karl A blake.karl.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Jun 7 12:46:40 AEST 2017

Hello everyone, Distance Education Centre Victoria is currently advertising a full time contract position from July 17th 2017 to December 22nd 2017 in recruitment online for an experienced year 12 Software Development teacher.

DECV is a Victorian P to 12 state government school which operates like all other state schools with the exception that our students are studying in a home school somewhere in Victoria or at home.  We are located at 315 Clarendon Street Thornbury 3071.

The position description can be found in recruitment online.  Position: Computer Studies.

The teaching allotment for the remainder of the 2017 school year is 1.0EFT Year 12 Computing – Software Development.

Our IT courses, including SD, have been online since the introduction of the new study design and have been refined over the past year or so.  All SATs and SACs have been written and are ready to distribute to our students.

This position requires a teacher with excellent course writing and record keeping skills as well as excellent communication skills when corresponding with students, parents and school supervisors.

The SD course programming component contains lessons using PHP so a reasonably sound knowledge of PHP is required or the ability to pick this language up quickly if you already have a sound knowledge of one or more other programming languages.

If you would like to talk to one of the IT teachers about the position you can phone the contacts below to have a chat over the phone or to arrange a time to call in and do a tour of the school and chat with us.

This contract position is to cover Rocco who is taking leave without pay, however, I am retiring at the end of third term this year which will leave a full time ongoing position available.  I don’t have to tell you that being in the job and knowing our systems and processes is a huge advantage in securing an ongoing position at this school.

On a personal note:
I taught IT at Brunswick Secondary College for twelve years before coming to DECV in 2001 and, as you would expect, I had a few difficult students to deal with and the odd heated conversation.  DECV is a fabulous place to work, no bells and no last minute extras and no heated conversations.  Our working hours are from 9am to 4pm except for meeting days on a Wednesday when we finish at 5pm.  We can also apply to vary our hours to 8.30 am to 3.30pm. School holidays are the same as every other state school.  Salaries are the same as we are Victorian state government school teachers employed by DET.

Our student and parent interaction is by phone and email and in the sixteen years that I have been teaching here I have never had anything but polite conversations with students and parents.  We have a sub school meeting monthly and staff meetings monthly, no yard duties and basically, we concentrate on keeping in touch with our students and providing advice for the work that they submit each week.  We park within metres of the school building which has a café that is open all day.   (Karl Blake)

Contacts:
Karl Blake 84800173
Rocco Agostino 84800108

IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Training.