[Informatics] please explain

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 14:46:05 AEDT 2017

Japanese anime is very popular with young people in the West. Sounds like
somebody may have accidentally confused it with manga of which this is a
subset. Not easy for a proof reader to pick up as you noticed. Best to
avoid drawing more attention to it. I once had trouble with Gamemaker with
an overlap with street jargon: "scoring" "hits" etc. A stern gaze and firm
reminder "this is a 'G' rated school for kids" put the giggles to rest.

On 16 February 2017 at 12:54, Vear, Gary D <vear.gary.d at edumail.vic.gov.au>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This morning during my Informatics lesson I heard some unexpected giggling
> at the back of the classroom and saw some of my students passing around the
> textbook. When I tried to identify what was so funny about the page they
> were looking at, my students remained coy at first but finally told me to
> look at the hierarchy on the bottom of page 147. I scanned it for a minute
> or so but couldn't figure out what was so amusing to them.
>
> In the end, my students explained that 'Penny' (the name of the woman used
> in the example) is shown to have a well-organised porn collection. Hentai,
> they explained, is a form of Japanese cartoon porn. At first I thought they
> were joking, but their strong resistance to my suggestion that I would
> google the term made me think otherwise. So at lunch I used my mobile data
> (off the school network and in the privacy of my office) to research the
> term and discovered that my students were indeed not kidding. A rough
> translation of 'hentai' is 'pervert' according to Wikipedia. The
> accompanying images probably would have been enough to get me fired if I'd
> been foolish enough to look up the term in front of a room full of students.
>
> I don't consider myself a prude, but I do not believe a school textbook
> should be making such references under any circumstances, particularly when
> it could lead to some blissfully ignorant teachers searching for a term
> under the wrong circumstances that could end in their dismissal.
>
> Hopefully others read this as a warning. Hopefully future versions of the
> textbook can avoid references to porn as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary
>
> Digital Technologies Leader
> Emerald Secondary College
> =
> IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If
> and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Training.

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

*Roland Gesthuizen*
http://about.me/rgesthuizen

change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret
Mead