[Informatics] Data scientists really love their jobs

Mark mark at vceit.com
Fri Apr 21 22:34:50 AEST 2017

That's an interesting point, Ken. At the risk of diverging into off topic
territory...

I've just finished reading 'How to Fly a Horse' by Kevin Ashton, which
looks at creativity.
It got me to thinking that creative thought requires a *disorderly*
thinking pattern that challenges previous ideas. That's *why* it's
creative.
But truly creative thinking is stressful because it's unprecedented,
unbounded, and its success is hard to measure..
That's why many creative people rely so much on getting feedback - to see
whether they're on track.

But procedural, methodical and logical, thinking (such as organising,
sorting, categorising) is comfortable because the objective is nicely
defined and has clear parameters.
Its success is easy to judge, and it's easy to tell when the job is
finished.

I find that the two thinking styles balance each other, and I think most
people get satisfaction from both of them.
It's a thrill to walk the tightrope, but it's also satisfying to pack up
the rope as neatly as possible after the event..
Everybody can do both, but everyone has a preference of one over the other.

I think.

Regards
Mark

mark at vceit.com