[Informatics] Support material for the SAT and student understanding of key concepts

Nash, Peter N nash.peter.n at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu May 5 11:20:57 AEST 2016

Hi everyone

I am not sure what I am about to say has been posted before and sorry in advance for a long email.

I was talking to the Year 11 Psychology staff at my college after hearing what they do in class as part of a recent VCE meeting. It made me think of the current SAT. Part of Unit 1 Psychology is on Scientific Research Methods. Some of the concepts are very similar to what we are covering in Unit 3 Outcome 2 and Unit 4 Outcome 1. (Remember - not all concepts covered in Psychology are relevant to our study design)

There are a number of activity books and exercises Psychology use to explain the concepts we cover, in fact some of our students may already have the reference material.

It might be good to have a chat with the psychology teachers at your school to see if you can look at the Unit 1 text books they use. Be aware some areas are not relevant for our SAT

Here are some of the references the Psych teachers use at my school and the sections I found could be useful in explain the concepts relating to our SAT.

Reference:

*         Van Iersel, H et al (2016 ) - Nelson Psychology VCE Units 1 & 2 Student Activity Manual (current text book I believe).

o   Comment:  Chapter 1 - Scientific Research Methods. Interesting sections - Formulating a hypothesis; Ways to obtain data; collecting data; ethics; Evaluation of research; Features of a report (not really what we have to do but interesting reading

*         On old reference but sections still relevant, Kendell, K (2011) VCE Psychology Research Methods Workbook.

o   Comment: Most sections may be relevant and the vocab is similar to what we use. Some interesting activities to strengthen student knowledge and skills.

*         Edwards, R et al (2016) - Oxford Psychology VCE Units 1 & 2 . (current reference book at my school)

o   Comment - Chapter 1 Research Toolkit numerous activities some not relevant to our study design but once again some useful background activities that can be used in our classrooms to strengthen student knowledge and skills

I would be interested to see of other people think that these resources as they may be useful in our Informatics classes, particularly the workbooks. There may be an opportunity to promote our subject during the course selection process as well?

Regards

Peter Nash
IT Teacher, VET Coordinator and VCAA State Reviewer VET IT
Wyndham Central College
101 Shaws Road
Werribee. VIC. 3030

Ph: 03 9741 4911