[Informatics] Logical fallacies and other bad stuff when evaluating secondary information

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 17:20:22 AEDT 2016

http://www.leany.com/logic/Adams.html
The Dilbert variant (in handy printable form)
You Are Wrong Because:

For your convenience, I have circled the brain malfunction(s) that most
closely resemble(s) the one(s) you recently made on the topic of (fill in
topic):

------------------------------

*1. AMAZINGLY BAD ANALOGY*Example: You can train a dog to fetch a stick.
Therefore, you can train a potato to dance.

*2. FAULTY CAUSE AND EFFECT*Example: On the basis of my observations,
wearing huge pants makes you fat.

*3. I AM THE WORLD *Example: I don’t listen to country music. Therefore,
country music is not popular.

*4. IGNORING EVERYTHING SCIENCE KNOWS ABOUT THE BRAIN*Example: People
choose to be obese/gay/alcoholic because they prefer the lifestyle.

*5. THE FEW ARE THE SAME AS THE WHOLE*Example: Some Elbonians are animal
rights activists. Some Elbonians wear fur coats. Therefore, Elbonians are
hypocrites.

*6. GENERALIZING FROM SELF*Example: I’m a liar. Therefore, I don’t believe
what you’re saying.

*7. ARGUMENT BY BIZARRE DEFINITION *Example: He’s not a criminal. He just
does things that are against the law.

*8. TOTAL LOGICAL DISCONNECT*Example: I enjoy pasta because my house is
made of bricks.

*9. JUDGING THINGS WITHOUT COMPARISON TO ALTERNATIVES*Example: I don’t
invest in U.S. Treasury bills. There’s too much risk.

*10. ANYTHING YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND IS EASY TO DO*
ExampIe: If you have the right tools, how hard could it be to generate
nuclear fission at home?

*11. IGNORANCE OF STATISTICS*Example: I’m putting ALL of my money on the
lottery this week because the jackpot is so big.

*12. IGNORING THE DOWNSIDE RISK*Example: I know that bungee jumping could
kill me, but it’s three seconds of great fun!

*13. SUBSTITUTING FAMOUS QUOTES FOR COMMON SENSE*Example: Remember, “All
things come to those who wait.” So don’t bother looking for a job.

*14. IRRELEVANT COMPARISONS*Example: A hundred dollars is a good price for
a toaster, compared to buying a Ferrari.

*15. CIRCULAR REASONING*Example: I’m correct because I’m smarter than you.
And I must be smarter than you because I’m correct.

*16. INCOMPLETENESS AS PROOF OF DEFECT*Example: Your theory of gravity
doesn’t address the question of why there are no unicorns, so it must be
wrong.

*17. IGNORING THE ADVICE OF EXPERTS WITHOUT A GOOD REASON*Example: Sure,
the experts think you shouldn’t ride a bicycle into the eye of a hurricane,
but I have my own theory.

*18. FOLLOWING THE ADVICE OF KNOWN IDIOTS*Example: Uncle Billy says pork
makes you smarter. That’s good enough for me!

*19. REACHING BIZARRE CONCLUSIONS WITHOUT ANY INFORMATION*Example: The car
won’t start. I’m certain the spark plugs have been stolen by rogue clowns.

*20. FAULTY PATTERN RECOGNITION*Example: His lust six wives were murdered
mysteriously. I hope to be wife number seven.

*21. FAILURE TO RECOGNIZE WHAT’S IMPORTANT*Example: My house is on fire!
Quick, call the post office and tell them to hold my mail!

*22. UNCLEAR ON THE CONCEPT OF SUNK COSTS*Example: We’ve spent millions
developing a water-powered pogo stick. We can’t stop investing now or it
will all be wasted.

*23. OVERAPPLICATION OF OCCAM’S RAZOR (WHICH SAYS THE SIMPLEST EXPLANATION
IS USUALLY RIGHT)*Example: The simplest explanation for the moon landings
is that they were hoaxes.

*24. IGNORING ALL ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE*Example: I always get hives
immediately after eating strawberries. But without a scientifically
controlled experiment, it’s not reliable data. So I continue to eat
strawberries every day, since I can’t tell if they cause hives.

*25. INABILITY TO UNDERSTAND THAT SOME THINGS HAVE MULTIPLE CAUSES*Example:
The Beatles were popular for one reason only: They were good singers.

*26. JUDGING THE WHOLE BY ONE OF ITS CHARACTERISTICS*Example: The sun
causes sunburns. Therefore, the planet would be better off without the sun.

*27. BLINDING FLASHES OF THE OBVIOUS*Example: If everyone had more money,
we could eliminate poverty.

*28. BLAMING THE TOOL*Example: I bought an encyclopedia but I’m still
stupid. This encyclopedia must be defective.

*29. HALLUCINATIONS OF REALITY*Example: I got my facts from a talking tree.

*30. TAKING THINGS TO THEIR ILLOGICAL CONCLUSION*ExampIe: If you let your
barber cut your hair, the next thing you know he’ll be lopping off your
limbs!

*31. FAILURE TO UNDERSTAND WHY RULES DON’T HAVE EXCEPTIONS*Example: It
should be legal to shoplift, as long as you don’t take enough to hurt the
company’s earnings.

*32. PROOF BY LACK OF EVIDENCE*Example: I’ve never seen you drunk, so you
must be one of those Amish people.

*From: The Joy of Work: Dilbert's Guide to Finding Happiness at the Expense
of Your Co-workers. By Scott Adams*

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Laurie Savage <08327998 at pvgc.vic.edu.au>
wrote:

> Of course it's well known that brain cancer causes mobile phone demand.
>
> http://xkcd.com/925/
>
> Laurie
>

> On 22 Mar 2016, at 4:16 PM, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:
>
> Hi fellow fallacious folk
>
> During your kids' incursion into hypothesis formulation and evaluation of
> secondary sources, there are some logical fallacies and bad practices
> you might want to point to.
>
> - Causation - If A and B are correlated it does not mean A causes B.
> Or B might cause A.
> Or A might cause B while B also causes A in a feedback loop.
> Or both A and B might be caused by unknown factor C.
> Or similarities between the trends in A and B may be purely coincidental.
>
> - Just because A happens before B does not mean A causes B. This is a
> particularly dangerous fallacy, e.g. immunization causes autism; a
> cancer sufferer drank green tea and had complete remission, therefore green
> tea cure cancer.
>
> - Confusion of cause and effect - "He's unmarried because he's so angry"
> vs "He's so angry because he's unmarried".
>
> - A series of random events (e.g. coin tosses) that show a pattern are not
> actually causally linked.
>
> - Cherry picking - selecting only the data that supports a hypothesis.
>
> - Ignoring extraneous variables - Assuming that only one possible cause
> exists when in fact others are possible.
>
> - Ad hominem - attacking the person on irrelevant personal grounds rather
> than attacking his or her argument. e.g. "Could you believe a tattooed
> and pierced freak like him could ever be a serious member of parliament?"
>
> - Using loaded questions - questions that have inbuilt assumptions, e.g.
> "Considering the growing rates of autism, would you have your
> child immunized?"
>
> - Using leading questions - that contain information that suggests the
> desired answer. e.g. "As a responsible parent, would you risk immunizing
> your child?"
>
> - Double-barrelled questions - which lead to ambiguous results by
> combining two separate variables, e.g. "Do you agree with child
> immunization and circumcision? Yes/No."
>
> - Questions that force some people into giving inaccurate answers, e.g.
> "Do you go to church daily / weekly / occasionally." The options
> are incomplete.
>
> - Vague, ambiguous or subjective questions - that may be interpreted
> differently by different people. e.g. "Are men superior to women?" (in
> what respects?) or "Do you swear often?" (what does "often" mean?)
>
> - Begging the question - assuming the truth of an issue that is in
> question. e.g. "But he's a gentle, law-abiding man! How could he possibly
> be guilty of this horrific massacre?"  (It annoys me mightily when people
> say this when they actually mean "raises the question". e.g. "He said he
> was a lazy man, which begs [raises] the question of how he achieved so
> much.")

> [...]

Dr Ken Price MACS CP ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au