[Informatics] Hypothesis examples

Croft, Jordyn J croft.jordyn.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Mar 18 12:07:50 AEDT 2016

Hi all,

My students and I have been doing some prep work for the SAT in between O1 lessons. I've been trying to steer them towards topics they would be interested in to ensure they put in more effort for the duration of the SAT. The following are some examples that I've come up with (some based on student's ideas) and discussed with the class how we would go about confirming or refuting them:

*         The average Supercoach score for an AFL player is higher with the more time they spend on the ground because it gives them more opportunity to gain points.

*         Songs from 1990 and earlier have less plays on Spotify than those after 1990 because the majority of users were born after 1990 and have not heard many older songs.

*         Football teams with an average experience of 50 or more games played are more successful than those with less games played because they are older and more experienced.

*         Teenagers buy mobile phones more often than adults because they are careless with their devices, causing their devices to break or become misplaced.

*         The average study score of a class increases with smaller numbers of students because the teacher can give more one-on-one assistance to each student.

*         Sports teams that attempt more shots on goal score more points because of the increased opportunity to make a successful shot.

These are some my students have presented to me but we haven't done enough work on it so they need refinement:

*         Literacy of teenagers has decreased every year since texting and instant messaging became widely available because teenagers take too many shortcuts when writing messages.

*         Life expectancy has increased in the last decade due to medical advances that are keeping people alive longer.

*         The higher the cost of producing a video game the more profit it will make because it is of a higher quality.

Hope this helps!

Jordyn Croft
Technology Domain Leader
Taylors Lakes Secondary College