[Informatics] Another research paper - is hatred of coriander a genetic trait?

Mark mark at vceit.com
Wed Jan 27 14:03:40 AEDT 2016

Hi all. How many hours are left now until term 1?

Here's a sample hypothesis, research, statistics and references that you
might adapt for kiddies approaching the formulation of hypotheses,
research, data collection, and reporting for the Informatics SAT.

It's based on the vital question: why do people seem to either love or hate
coriander (a.k.a. cilantro) so passionately?

The research asks if there might be a gene that influences the reaction.

- The summary article in Nature
<http://www.nature.com/news/soapy-taste-of-coriander-linked-to-genetic-variants-1.11398>
:
- ​An M.Sc​. thesis
<https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bitstream/1807/31335/1/Mauer_Lilli_K_201108_MSc_Thesis.pdf>
with all the creamy research goodness:
​- There's even a website <http://www.ihatecilantro.com> for coriander
haters:

In shock news, there might also be similar factors involved in people's
feelings for/against brussels sprouts: your kids might not simply be 'fussy
eaters' after all.

For the record:
- I loathe fresh ​coriander leaves, but quite like ground coriander seeds
and sprouts.
- I hope coriander key knowledge makes its way into the next IT study
design.

​Happy hypothesising

Mark​

mark at vceit.com