[Informatics] Database choices for U3AoS1

Garth, Lucas A garth.lucas.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Jan 19 11:04:57 AEDT 2016

Hi all,

I find it quite interesting that database interaction via  a website is encouraged in informatics. I certainly think it’s a useful skill, however the programming requirements can be quite challenging for students, and the setup/security aspects add a complexity requirement for teachers/network admins.

From reading the Study Design for U3O1 part a (i.e. the 90% task) the students need to:

-          Analyse a design brief

-          Design and develop a database (RDBMS) “solution”

From reading the Study Design there is a very helpful definition of the word “solution” in the Glossary (which is of course examinable):
Solutions can be interactive or non-interactive, online (internet connected) or not, multimodal or not.

Thus from my perspective there is nothing in U3O1 part a that mandates an online internet connected solution.

One could quite clearly satisfy the outcome requirements by using a similar task to the old U3O1 using MS Access ensuring the solution had a user interface (form/report) and back end (query/tables) which provided a meaningful answer to the issues expressed in the design brief.

My thinking is for Informatics U3O1 this year most of us will go with Access with a view to pushing as much of this area of the course into Computing U2O3 at the end of the year, while taking some time during 2016 to develop additional web-based content for use in Informatics U3O1 2017. Programming in Computing U2O1 will probably be directed more towards Python and PHP to enable this to more easily occur too.

By using some different tools, we can keep the database work of Computing and Informatics separate and interesting for students.

By the way Brett, great ideas in the previous mail.
Lucas