[Informatics] Question about U3O1

Garth, Lucas A garth.lucas.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Feb 25 08:13:33 AEDT 2016

Hi Steven

Assessing students analysis, then providing feedback but not changing the mark, then assessing students' design and again providing feedback but not changing the mark could be a way of managing this.

I've heard of some teachers of ITApps/Informatics who do this, and then let the students do their full development and evaluation stages before final submission.

You could, theoretically, give out the case study lesson 1, get the design documents completed lesson 2 and 3 (e.g. data dictionary, ERD etc) and then hand out a list of sample data from which students can create tables.  They may still need to retrofit their data dictionary/ERD to allow the tables to be created so they can create queries, but I think that's a reasonable enough penalty for a poor start to the project.

Even though you provide data in an acceptable structure, it's still up to the students to create the tables and relationships in the RDBMS correctly (which for some students will be hard enough), and you might even make a requirement to create some additional records of test data so that their queries can be tested (e.g. data you provide is not accurate, clean or complete for all business requirements).  This helps them to test electronic validation.

By giving students data that would create an empty query, you are encouraging them to think about why, and then how they could populate it for testing and output purposes.  I believe this is the higher order thinking required to achieve a very high on the performance indicators.

As you wrote earlier you are still assessing the analysis and design process, but not letting a poor initial process get in the way of a successful end result.

This is an approach I'm planning to take this year, so other list members please let me know if you think this is not acceptable.

Lucas