[Informatics] BookCrossing - Labels

Mark mark at vceit.com
Wed Dec 30 14:38:27 AEDT 2015

It's ironic that while the printed book may well last longer than we will,
the metadata about it at bookcrossing.com will probably be gone within a
year or two.

(Waves cane in air)

We're heading for a new digital dark age
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_dark_age>, I tell you!  A new dark
age!

Try reading a 3.5" floppy disk today... even if you can find a drive to
read it, the disk is likely to be full of magnetic or physical errors.
Now try reading a 5.25" floppy: the motherboard port is extinct and try
finding a USB interface for the drive ... well, maybe there is one exception
<http://www.deviceside.com/fc5025.html>.
Even a PATA hard disk is virtually inaccessible in these days of SATA ports
and drives.
And what am I supposed to do with my roomful of punchcards from 1975
containing my database of songs by Captain and Tennille about Pet Rocks?

Where was I? (Puts down cane).  Nurse? I hope there's jelly for dessert
tonight. I like jelly.

Mark

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com