[Yr7-10it] Cross-school online discussion

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Jun 6 09:50:32 EST 2007

Dear List,

   partly motivated by level 6 of VELS ICT for Communicating, I'm
looking at introducing an ongoing unit to my elective 9/10 IT next
semester on, basically, internet skills and citizenship--- search
strategies, net history, useful sites, evaluating reliability of
information, nettiquette, intellectual property, etc etc. As a
learning strategy and for assessment the kids will have to actively
take part in online discussions of the issues raised in the unit.

  Last night I had a thought -- it would be more engaging and
stimulating for the students if they were really interacting with
people they didn't have face-to-face contact with.  I think it would
be excellent if two or three schools could buddy up and participate
in combined discussions.

Would anybody be interested in doing this?  Is this sort of thing
being done already?

How I'd envisage it working is as follows. Teachers would agree to
cover, in class, selected topics around the same time. Once a week or
so they would post one or two new threads in the forum, inviting
discussion on a particular point. Students could pick and choose
which threads they get involved in. As long as they make a meaningful
contribution to, say, five or more threads, they meet the VELS
requirement that students

"communicate regularly online with peers, experts, and others,
expressing their messages in language appropriate to the selected
form of communication, and demonstrating respect for cultural
differences. "

Looking forward to your responses,
Russell

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education.