[VELS] Prog. Points

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Jun 13 21:39:41 EST 2008

On 13/06/2008, at 8:42 PM, Litsa Tzelepis wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> just a quick question, how flexible are progression points?
>
> My school is in the process of applying progression points to all
> Semester 2 assessments, for Level 6. Some staff have become very
> confused about the wording in some of the points. I know that the
> points published on the VCAA website are "examples" so is it
> possible to generate your own progression points, given that you
> achieve the "standards"?

Litsa, my understanding is that the progression points are perfectly
flexible in that they are recommendations only.

The Standards are the actual benchmarks you are reporting against.
Any .25, .5 or .75 on a level is based on your discretion as to how
far they have progressed between one (.0) Standard and the next. The
progression points are meant as a guide as to how to interpolate, and
often a very ineffective guide at that. Often they do not progress in
any sequence and there is no logical reason why aspects covered by,
say, the 5.75 progression point, could not be covered before aspects
of, say, 5.25.

http://vels.vcaa.vic.edu.au/assessment/progresspoints.html

regards,

Russell Edwards