[VELS] Re: POL Planning for 08

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Aug 8 12:03:42 EST 2007

This message is in response to the messages quoted below from the IT
Applications mailing list.

I too would be interested to hear how schools structure leadership
and curriculum planning under VELS.

At my school, IT is only offered as electives, in years 9-12. So,
there is a need to integrate it into other subjects at least in years
7-8 but probably 7-10.

I am yet to find out how that's being done at my school (I'm only
new.. it's on my to-do list!!) but I'd like to know how other schools
are doing it.  It seems to me that teachers and/or KLA leaders both
from ICT and the disciplinary strands (maths, science, English, etc)
need to collaborate since neither on their own will likely have the
required grounding in both areas _and_ an understanding of the
demands VELS makes in each area.  I found the VELS ICT standards
quite demanding, both in terms of decoding all the jargon and working
out what they're actually on about, and also in terms of what it
turns out to expect of students once all that "unpacking" is performed.

Russell
Whittlesea SC