[VELS] This group should be a lot more busy!

Red Bingham rbingham at distance.vic.edu.au
Tue Nov 14 12:22:43 EST 2006

Dear Laurie,
It's report time at Distance Ed. We should have time to be able to
scratch ourselves after them - early Dec sounds good.

Feel free to pass this letter to the editor that I wrote onto
teacher-unionists. I think that the more people who write letters now,
the better.
Regards,
Red Bingham
DECV
Ph 8480 0226

Workers' friend?

THE Bracks Government is posturing as the workers' friend in its
opposition to the Federal Government's IR laws. However, the Victorian
ALP has done precious little to stop the casualistion of state
government employees.

In my sector, education, huge numbers of teachers are covered by
short-term contracts. Many teachers receive unemployment as their
Christmas present in December.

Yet there's a teacher shortage in Victoria! Well, who'd want

to teach in a state where the Education Department treats its teachers
so badly? It's time for Bracks to end the hated contract system and to
guarantee ongoing employment for all teachers who want it.

I might think about voting Labor again when the initials ALP stand for
something different from "Another Liberal Party".

Red Bingham, East St Kilda