[php] CS4HS Workshop and NCSS Challenge

Fay Richardson fay at vitta.org.au
Wed Jul 11 11:37:35 EST 2012

1. For Victorian secondary IT teachers who would like to develop Computer
Science modules and to contribute to the development of a new VCE CS
subject, this workshop could be for you.

CS4HS workshop

University of Melbourne, 11-12 July 2012

Organised by

Steven Bird (Melbourne),

Bernd Meyer (Monash),

Paula Christophersen (VCAA)

CS4HS is an initiative sponsored by Google to promote Computer Science and
Computational Thinking in the secondary curriculum.

The goals of this workshop are:

(i) to update Victorian secondary IT teachers on current developments in the
field of Computer Science;
(ii) to develop Computer Science modules that can be used in the secondary
curriculum;
(iii) to contribute to the development of a new Computer Science subject in
the Victorian Certificate of Education; and

(iv) to raise awareness of secondary educators about how computational
thinking underpins the overall secondary curriculum.

You are invited to participate in the 2012 CS4HS workshop at the University
of Melbourne.  This invitation is extended to the participants of the 2011
workshop, plus other interested secondary educators, subject to our limit of
25 participants.  The workshop is fully catered.  Participants from outside
Melbourne can apply for travel subsidies and accommodation, subject to the
limits of our budget.

For more information go here
<http://www.vitta.org.au/teachers/asset_id/69/cid/5/parent/0/t/teachers/titl
e/cs4hs-workshop> .

2. For your students

NCSS Challenge

The Challenge is unlike any other programming competition because we will
teach you how to program as we go along rather than expecting you to be an
expert coder already. However, if you are a seasoned coder, we have
something for you too because the problems will range from relatively simple
through to mind-bendingly hard.

For 5 weeks starting on Monday 6th August, 2012 and running until Sunday 9th
September, 2012, we will release a set of notes containing the information
you will need to complete the week's programming challenges. In 2012, there
are three streams to the Challenge:

.         the beginner's stream, which doesn't assume any knowledge of
programming and introduces the Python programming language;

.         the intermediate stream, for students who have either have some
prior programming experience or have some prior experience with the Python
programming language; and

.         the advanced stream, for students who know Python and want harder
problems.

For more information go here.
<http://www.vitta.org.au/students/asset_id/48/cid/9/parent/0/t/students/titl
e/ncss-challenge>

Fay Richardson

Fay Richardson

Senior Project Manager

VITTA

T: +61 3 9495 6836

F: +61 3 9495 6834

M: +61(0)488 545 995

E: fay at vitta.org.au

W: www.vitta.org.au <http://www.vitta.org.au/>

Suite 209, 134-136 Cambridge St,

Collingwood, VIC, 3066, Australia

VITTA ~ supporting all educators with ICTs anywhere, any time

2012 VITTA Conference:
<http://www.vitta.org.au/2012conferenceinfo/vitta-annual-conference-2012>
Reign of the Cloud

Professional Learning