[php] programming and maths

Maggie Iaquinto IAQUIM at bialik.vic.edu.au
Wed Nov 19 10:40:58 EST 2008

One of our maths teachers is looking for a programming solution to the
following. Any ideas which language is best for this? Anyone willing to
give it a go?

Maggie

The task is to display successive iterations of z-> z2 +c where z = x+iy
and  i is the square root of -1 and c is a complex constant.

In particular I want to be able to preset the number of iterations for a
given initial value of z (called z(0)) and a fixed (but user selectable)
value of c. I'm thinking of a maximum of 1000.

I want to see a display of the iterates in a list and a plot on the
Argand diagram of each iterate joined to the previous iterate with a
line. I want a unit circle fixed on the display . I want to be able to
show other circles as user defined. I want to be able to show the Argand
diagram with user defined min and max values of Re(z) and Im(z).

I would like a reset button to initialise everything. Ideally a zoom in
and zoom out feature would be good too.