[Gifted and Talented] Game Maker for Primary Schools

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Fri Jul 29 20:13:23 EST 2011

Hi Nat,

I thought I would pass on to you the details of the LaTrobe Uni lecturer in
Games programming who actually is the one who has stated Use Cases are not
appropriate for Games design. I am drafting an explanation as to why we may
have differences in opinion ( with his input ) on this and will forward this
to the members of the panel where this was discussed several weeks ago. The
lecturer's name is Paul Taylor, email: P.Taylor at latrobe.edu.au .

Paul also runs 1 day workshops for students at LaTrobe Uni Bundoora,  to
teach the basics of Xbox programming using XNA. I will let him know you may
be in touch .

With  the PHP example I showed you yesterday, there was a typo which was not
picked up by 2 sets of reviewers of the book and I thank you for alerting me
to it.

The array I showed should have been written as follows:

<?php

$myarray =array('apple',55, array('plum','peach','apricot'),true,'54.56');

//   The line I showed you read    $myarray =array('apple','55',
array('plum','peach','apricot'),'true','54.56') and was not intended to be
all strings.

$myarray[4]= 5*$myarray[4];

print_r($myarray);

?>

// Note the data types in the array- string, integer, array of string,
Boolean and real/float.

The point of the example was to show both the fact PHP handles mixed data
types in an array and simply adjusts the data type when an operator is
applied as the example attempting to multiply 5* '54.56' to give 278.2
showed below.  Notepad++ shows the data types in the highlighting it uses as
shown here:

Output is

Array ( [0] => apple [1] => 55 [2] => Array ( [0] => plum [1] => peach [2]
=> apricot ) [3] => 1 [4] => 272.8

Note the string '54.56' is happily multiplied by 5 to give the float/real
272.8.

The point is that a 2D array of mixed data types could happily be
implemented in PHP to give a bit more meaning to a problem setting than all
data to be the same.

Since the PHP text is only in ebook format I can fix these typos and even
add to content as the need arises .

If I can help with anything else or if you are in the mood to post some
sample C# code to help others please let me know.

Kind Regards

Kevork Krozian

Edulists Creator Administrator

www.edulists.com.au