[Design and Technology] Safe use of Power tools?

Travis Burroughs travis.burroughs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 09:32:49 UTC 2023

There is a list of tools that are non-restricted and can be used by
students if the teacher deems them competent and a list of tools that are
restricted and can only be used if a course specifically requires them. For
example a VET furniture course that has outcomes on table saw competency.

For both cases students should be supervised and have had a safety and
operational lesson. For restricted tools, the teacher also needs to have
completed a safe use of tools assessment.

The department recently changed where these lists are found and from what I
can tell the 2 links below are the only references on DET's website.

Non-restricted tools --->
https://www.education.vic.gov.au/hrweb/Documents/OHS/safeusemachinerytechtest.docx
Restricted tools  ---->
https://www.education.vic.gov.au/hrweb/Documents/OHS/restrictedmachinerytest.docx