[CS4HS] PD opportunity

Christy Kosch ckosch at swin.edu.au
Mon Jul 29 11:31:37 EST 2013

Dear IT Teacher

Deakin University and Swinburne University of Technology are pleased to offer you the opportunity to send one of your teachers to a fully funded residential workshop geared towards broadening participation in ICT by building teachers' technical capacity. This opportunity is possible through the generous sponsorship provided by Google through their CS4HS (Computer Science for High Schools) program.

Participants in the workshop, through hands-on experience, will be exposed to a student-led 4 week AppInventor module of work. This module has been successfully trialled in two metropolitan  schools with the support of a small grant from the Australian Council of Deans of ICT (ACDICT). The lesson plans are flexible and teachers have the ability to adjust them for middle school or senior students.

Additionally teachers will be provided with an overview of  materials (lesson plans, student work examples and teaching instructions) created through an Australian Research Council Grant “Digital Divas Club (2009-2011)” which focused on increasing gender diversity in ICT.

We invite you to nominate one teacher to attend this residential workshop that will be held at Deakin Management Centre, Deakin University, Geelong 3217 (http://www.managementcentre.com.au/) on Friday 6th and Saturday 7th September . The teacher who would gain the most from this workshop would most likely be teaching ICT to a year 7,8, 9 or 10 class, not necessarily have a background method in ICT but is enthusiastic about its possibilities.

Teachers will be required to bring their own laptops. We will supply Android phones for instructional purposes. All meals and accommodation costs are covered in the grant, as well as  teaching support materials that the participants can take home.

To minimise disruption to your timetable, we will begin the workshop at 4pm on Friday 6th of September and continue through to 5pm on Saturday 7th September.

Places are capped at 20, so please respond with the teacher's details (name and email) as soon as possible and no later than 12 August, via email to:  acraig at deakin.edu.au<mailto:acraig at deakin.edu.au>.

Successful participants will be notified by 16 August. We will then finalise the communication and planning with the individual nominated teachers.

Many thanks

Christy Kosch
Manager, Marketing and Communications

Swinburne University of Technology